ISEA Academy

ISEA Academy


Courses are offered for Iowa License Renewal or Graduate Credit.

The ISEA is among the nation’s leaders when it comes to helping educators improve their skills and knowledge. ISEA courses are typically developed by teams of practitioners with the experiences and knowledge to meet the everyday challenges of the classroom and meet both licensure requirements and requirements for graduate credit for lane changes but you must check with your district’s policies.

The ISEA helps members take charge of their professional learning by offering a variety of programs and services at an exclusive member discount rate. In addition, the ISEA PD Academy instructors are available to conduct building or district level professional learning at special group rates. Details or questions about such district or building-wide professional development should be directed to the ISEA Teaching and Learning Specialist, Cindy Swanson (515-471-8054).

Since 2004, the ISEA Academy has provided professional learning opportunities for educators across Iowa for license renewal and graduate credit on various topics through workshops, symposiums, face-to-face and online courses. The ISEA online platform, where courses are designed for self-paced, differentiated learning, is our most popular venue for educators to obtain professional learning.

The ISEA Academy has an advisory committee led by member representatives from across the state of Iowa who serve as liaisons from the field to provide recommendations for courses so professional learning has meaningful impact to help educators gain practical solutions to the challenges faced in their classrooms every day. ISEA conferences are frequently planned in collaboration with other state education partners and provide outstanding content and valuable tools and strategies to build teacher leader capacity.

Credit Limit: You may enroll in a maximum of 12 graduate credit hours in one semester through ISEA Academy. Please contact our office if you have any questions: 515-471-8052.

ISEA members often receive special discounted pricing for courses and programs. There is non-member pricing available for most programs. ISEA’s higher education partner is Drake University.

Click here to request your ISEA Academy transcripts.

Click here for the ISEA Course Catalog.

Click here for information on NEA Microcredentials offered for Iowa License Renewal Credit.

Click here for a list of 2020-21 course offerings.

Child and Mandatory Reporter Requirements to renew Iowa Educator License

In 2019, HF 731 modified the requirements for mandatory reporter training for child and dependent adult abuse. The Iowa Department of Human Services is now providing the trainings online for free. The BoEE will accept the free DHS trainings.

The new trainings will be two hours each for both child abuse and dependent adult abuse. You need to complete both.

  • Your completion certificates will be issued through DHS.
  • The new trainings will be valid for three years.
  • Once these trainings have been completed, updated refresher trainings can then be taken for one hour each as long as the trainings have not expired.
  • Mandatory reporter training completed before July 1, 2019 will still be valid for five years from the date of completion.

Free version: Mandatory reporter trainings for child and dependent adult abuse through DHS

Academy FAQs

What is your cancellation policy?

All Cancellations must be received in writing or electronically three business days prior to class start day. No refunds will be issued on cancellations received after that date, nor will students be moved to another session.

Instructors reserve the right to remove students for non-participation after 1 warning. No refund will be issued if this occurs.

ISEA reserves the right to cancel any course in the event of insufficient registration and a full refund will be returned. If ISEA is forced to cancel a course for reasons beyond control, it will be rescheduled for a later date, if possible. If a student cannot attend on the rescheduled date, a refund will be issued. If the course is not rescheduled, ISEA will refund the registration fee paid.

What do I need to do to renew my license or authorization?

License renewal is only available to complete online and forms are available renew online at the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners website.
Please allow at least 4-6 weeks for processing by the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners when you complete and submit your forms.

What classes do you offer?

Check the ISEA Course Catalog section for the most recent updated course registration options. The catalog changes frequently.

How do I access the ISEA online platform?

When a participant enrolls in an ISEA or partner course, they will receive directions from the instructor at the email address the participant used to enroll in the course with directions how to enter the course room and directions about the course requirements prior to the course start date.

I am already registered for a course. How can I change my credit option from License Renewal Credit to Graduate Credit?

If you registered for a course that is also offered for Graduate Credit through ISEA Academy, email or call Rhonda Plimmer 515-471-8052 to pay the higher cost for the credit change. Changes for credit type is only allowed while the course is currently offered.

When will I receive my transcript from Drake University?

If you registered for graduate credit, Drake University will mail an official transcript to your home within 2-3 weeks following the completion of your coursework and receipt of grades. You will receive an email notifying you when it is sent, providing they have your current email address. If you need to request an additional transcript, please go to Drake’s For additional information, please go to:

Are ISEA Academy classes offered through Drake University classified as ED/MA and are they good for advancement on district salary scale?

ISEA courses are designated ED/MA courses through Drake University if offered for Graduate Credit. It is the registrant’s responsibility to check with district policy regarding lane change requirements. Each class registration has a syllabus attached to it as you click on the registration link at the top left-hand side of the page. You may also request a course syllabus in advance if your district needs to review it prior to enrollment. If you need further information related to the classification of a course, please contact Rhonda Plimmer, ISEA registrar at or 515-471-8052.

Is there a limit to how many graduate credits I can receive in one semester through the academy?

You may enroll in a maximum of 12 graduate credit hours in one semester through ISEA Academy.

Do you have information regarding the tax Form 1098-T for classes taken for graduate credit through Drake University?

Below is the letter that was sent to students from Drake’s Director of Student Account Services on December 15, 2017, regarding the tax form 1098-T:

Dear Student,
Drake University must get your correct tax identification number (TIN) to file certain information returns with the IRS and to furnish a statement to you. For students, this will be your social security number (SSN) or, if you are not eligible to obtain an SSN, your individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN). The returns we must file contain information about qualified tuition and related expenses (Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement) and student loan interest (Form 1098-E, Student Loan Interest Statement). The information about your tuition will help to determine whether you, or the person who can claim you as a dependent, may take either the tuition and fees deduction or claim an education credit to reduce federal income tax. The information about your student loan interest will help to determine your deduction for such interest. For more information, see Pub. 970, Tax Benefits for Education.
If you fail to furnish your correct SSN or ITIN to Drake University, you are subject to an IRS penalty of $50 unless your failure is due to reasonable cause and not to willful neglect.
For your convenience, we have attached a copy of IRS Form W-9S “Request for Student’s or Borrower’s Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification.” Please complete Part 1 of this form, sign it and return it to Drake University. We do not need you to complete Part 2. You may scan the completed WS-9 and e-mail it to: You may also mail the form to: Student Accounts Office, Drake University, 2507 University Ave., Des Moines IA 50311-4505. Alternatively, you may bring your Social Security card to the Registrar’s office located in Old Main, Room 104, so we may record your number there.
At the time of your enrollment you may have furnished your TIN to QEP, an AEA or other agency you enrolled through. For privacy reasons these agencies have not provided this information to Drake, which is why we are making this request.
Recent scams in the credit card industry have made all of us wary of disclosing personal information, such as Social Security numbers, but please be assured that this is a legitimate request that we are making of you as required by federal law. You are welcome to call our office to confirm that this is a legitimate request. Please do not, for security reasons, give us your TIN over the phone.
Thank you for your prompt response to this request.
Richard L. Selden
Director of Student Account Services
Drake University
(515) 271-3097

Interested in becoming an ISEA trainer? Download the guidelines, course statement and your tax form.